Spring has sprung up here in the Pacific Northwest and my little patio garden is bursting with pea shoots, salad crops, garlic scapes, and fresh herbs! As it’s too early to let the pea shoots develop into English peas, I’ve created a deliciously fresh Spring recipe to showcase these nutritious, delicious, and often overlooked, garden delights.
Spring Recipe: Pea Shoot and Broccolini Tots
If you aren’t growing your own podded peas or garlic this year, then try looking for pea shoots and garlic scapes at your local farmers market. Pick up some fresh parsley and broccolini and you’ve got the makings for the following spring recipe. Completely free of cholesterol, totally plant-based, and packed with fibre, these tots are totally tasty.
This recipe makes approximately 10 tots.
- 2 cups of broccolini
- 1/2 cup of pea shoots, chopped
- 1 garlic scape, chopped
- 2 tbsp of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp of ground flaxseed mixed with 4 tbsp of water)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 °F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Blanch the broccolini by submerging in boiling water for 1 minute. Remove and plunge into ice-cold water to stop further cooking. Drain, pat dry, and finely chop.
- Mix chopped broccolini with garlic scapes, parsley, and pea shoots. Add the flax egg and mix to coat the vegetables.
- Mix the remaining (dry) ingredients in a separate bowl. Add to the vegetable mixture and stir until combined.
- Dampen your hands (this helps prevent the mixture from sticking to your fingers), and take about one and a half tablespoons of the mixture, roll into a ball, and then press into a tater tot shape. Place tots on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, carefully flipping them over halfway through. They will be nice and golden when done.
Serve theses tasty tots with salsa, a cashew cream dipping sauce, or just eat them on their own as a healthy snack!